Flu season is on, and my whole family was affected at some point. My husband developed a sore throat too and could not eat anything solid. I am a doctor but i strongly believe in home remedies. And so i made this soup which turned out not only mouth watering but therapeutic too.
My home remedy for any kind of flu is having anything spicy. Yes, peppers have been shown to soothe congestions! Plus soups can help keep dehydration in check. Add the nutrients in this soup and you have both a hearty meal and flu buster in one!
- 1 cup pink lentils (Rinsed and soaked for atleast 20-30mins)
- 1 cup frozen broccoli
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste ( if using fresh, 1inch piece of ginger and 4 cloves of garlic, chopped)
- 2 Green chilies
- 3-4 whole red chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chili powder
- 1tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- In a pan boil the lentils and brocolli in 1 cup of water until the lentils are soft. Add more water if lentils are still not done. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some olive oil. Once hot add 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste, 2 Green chilies , 3-4 whole red chillies ,1 tsp Cumin, 1/2 tsp Nigella seeds and stir until they splutter.
- Then add the onions and saute.
- Now add the boiled lentils and broccoli and the rest of the ingredients.
- Add some water, if needed and let it simmer for 10 minutes. The consistency should be like a thick soup, not runny.
- Once slightly cooled, blend it in a blender.
- Serve hot, topped with a chunk of butter and breadsticks.
My version may be a bit too spicy for your liking, so you can increase or decrease the spices according to your taste.