I got cherries some time back and don’t get me wrong, i love them as is, but they were a lot for me and pictures of cherry clafoutis were making me crazy during Ramadan, so i set to bake this sweet french firm custard with cherry. I also wanted to get rid of some of the Brookside candy i had at home (taking half of my refrigerator space!…ok not literally..). It not only added a nice flavour, but the cranberry in them balanced the sweetness of the clafoutis. Feel free to experiment with other fruits and (ahem) chocolates :P.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup brookside cranberry dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 165degrees.
- In a big bowl combine the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, butter and sugar. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt to the mixture and mix. It is ok to have small pockets of flour.
- Dot the base of the baking dish with the pitted cherries and candy. Now pour the liquid mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake until the clafoutis is golden and puffed and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- It is normal for the clafoutis to loose it’s puffiness in sometime, once outside the oven. Serve warm or cold as desired.
Eat as soon as it is out of the oven because this Clafoutis won’t be lying around for a long time 😉 Maybe a strawberry and nutella clafoutis is in order next. Did somebody say NUTELLA??!!!