2017 has been officially declared the year of giving in the UAE and Ramadan is by essence is the “month” of giving. It’s like the charitable and compassionate spirit of Ramadan has engulfed everyone in the UAE and it is heart warming to see.
Although more than half of Ramadan has passed, I wanted to jot down a list of charitable endeavors and drives that are under way throughout the country, so that it is easier for everyone to choose what and how they want to contribute. It is never too late and helping those in need should not end with Ramadan.
- Filling the blues – Each year Moti Roti (food truck/restaurant) teams up with various other restaurants and distributes iftar to laborers in Dubai. Since the food is donated by restaurants, this one is an opportunity to give the gift of your time.
- Omo, Uber and Emirates Red Crescent: Share a touch of love – All three of them have teamed up this Ramadan to help us donate clothing to those in need. Once we gather up our gently used clothing, a Uber will pick it up from our home for free, and then they will be sent to those in need after being washed by Omo.
- Ramadan sharing fridges – A Dubai-based initiative, under the umbrella of Red Crescent and in association with Open Arms UAE. Numerous refrigerators have been set up around UAE which provides the underprivileged with food and drinks during Ramadan. They also have an app to find and check status on fridges near you.
- Noor Dubai – A foundation that works to treat preventable blindness globally. This Ramadan you can contribute to their cause by shopping or dining at any of the outlets that come under the umbrella of Bin Hendi Enterprises. Click here for more information. You can also donate money directly from their website.
- Dubai Cares – A Dubai-Based organization that works globally to provide quality education to children in developing countries. Click on the link to find out how you can contribute. They also have volunteering opportunities.
- Emirates red crescent: For your sake Somalia – A campaign to raise money to provide humanitarian aid to the drought struck East African Country.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) /Doctors Without Borders – A medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency assistance globally to people who are affected by natural disasters, epidemics, healthcare exclusion or conflict.
- Dar El Ber Society – From donating iftar meals within and outside the country, to Zakat el Fitr and contributions to orphans, Dar El ber society has a number of ways and modes you can be charitable this Ramadan.
- Blood Donation – Another way of giving apart from clothes, money, and food would be the gift of your blood to those who need it. Normally the blood bank faces a shortage during Ramadan and summer holidays. Click on the link to see how and where you can donate blood.
- Dubai Foundation for Women and Children: Donate a seat – An initiative by Meraas to raise funds for Dubai Foundation for Women and Children, which provides shelter and care to woman and children.
- Gourmet Gulf and Make-a-wish foundation: Ramadan Wishes Campaign – A campaign to raise funds for Make-a-wish foundation. Every time you dine at any of the seven restaurant brands that come under the Gourmet Gulf’s umbrella, you will be encouraged to add a donation to your bill. Click on the link to see which restaurants are participating.
- Majid Al Futtaim malls: Make a Difference campaign – In collaboration with UAE’s Red Crescent Society, the campaign promotes the donation of clothes, books, and toys for families in need. The donations can be dropped off personally at any Majid Al Futtaim mall or send it through Fetchr for free (click on the link for details)
- Level Kids – In partnership with Beit Al Khair Society, level kids has setup clothes donation boxes on the ground floor of their store.
- Glad Tidings UAE – Follow them on Instagram for volunteering opportunities across UAE.
- Takatof: Laborers 2017 – Established by Emirates Foundation, Takatof promotes volunteering for various causes. This Ramadan they are running a campaign to provide laborers with towels, water, juices, and toothbrushes. Click on the link to see how you can volunteer.
If you are a registered charity and would like to be part of this list, kindly email me on firstname.lastname@example.org . If you find this list useful, please remember me and my family in your prayers.